Become a Board Member
Our Board of Directors are volunteer community members.
In accordance with our legal obligations and commitment to best practice, the Victoria Disability Resource Centre (VDRC) maintains a volunteer Board of Directors.
The Board is composed of community members both with and without disabilities elected by our members. Our Constitution mandates that 51 % of the board be persons with disabilities.
The Board’s responsibilities include overseeing the programs and services offered by the organization and ensuring the vision of the VDRC is being properly conveyed to the community.
The Board represents the ultimate authority and responsibility within the organization. They maintain a legal, fiduciary and compliance mandate as they govern the organization at the highest level.
Board meetings are the second Thursday of each month from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm via Zoom.
In the interests of individual and board effectiveness, and to foster a positive group spirit, board members are expected to adhere to these expectations:
- Attendance and participation at meetings
- Attend regularly and on time.
- Read board package before attending the meeting.
- Be well informed on all agenda items.
- Be mentally present and engaged in discussions.
- Contribute knowledge and express points of view based on experience.
- Use technology appropriately and not hinder the business of the Board.
- Display a forward-looking attitude based on a confident expectation of growth and development in the organization and its programs.
- Ensure the best interests of the organization are placed at the fore front of all decisions.
- Accept other board members with an appreciation of their strengths and encouragement in their learning.
- Respect the right of other board members and staff to disagree and give a fair hearing to their points of view.
- Endeavour to keep disagreements and controversies impersonal and to promote unity.
- Contribute to conflict resolution, keeping it in perspective in terms of the larger purposes of the organization.
- Accept that decisions must be made by majority vote and will at times go against one or more members. Support all decisions made by the Board.
- Focus discussion on the governance of the organization.
- Set governance strategy to drive the future of the organization.
- Use a governance framework (policies, vision, budgets, etc.) to drive organizational movement.
- Remain aware and considering the legal, strategic and fiduciary responsibility of their board roles.
- Share a clear understanding of and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Approach board responsibilities in the spirit of a trustee—on behalf of consumers, funders, and the public at large.
- Programs and services
- Keep well informed about the organization’s programs and services.
- Be aware of the needs of consumers, the community, and society.
- All board member appointments will be a 2 year term unless otherwise stated.
- Board members will attend and participate in both board meetings and sit on mutually agreed upon sub committees of the Board.
- Board members will commit to 4 hours of ongoing professional development in relation to board best practices every calendar year.
Joining the Board
If you are interested in joining the board of directors please complete the Nomination Form and email it to: email@example.com
Google Forms: VDRC Board of Directors Application Form
If this form is not accessible to you, please contact Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-595-0044 ext. 107.