Free tax service now available at VDRC
Beginning in early April, 2018, we offered a free income tax service for people on low incomes. Three volunteers were trained by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to offer this service, and worked from our offices at 817A Fort Street.
They prepared tax returns free of charge in accord with the following CRA-suggested income guidelines:
- One person: up to $30,000/year
- Person with one dependent: up to $35,000/year ($2500 more for each additional dependent
- Couple: up to $40,000/year
The service is not available when people
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business income and expenses (unless income is in box 048 on a T4A slip and less than $1,000 with no related expenses)
- have rental income and expenses
- have interest income over $1,000
- have capital gains or losses
- file for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person.
Check our website for the opening date of the tax clinic and its office hours.