Neil Squire Society
Uses technology, knowledge and passion to empower Canadians with disabilities.
The Neil Squire Society uses technology, knowledge and passion to empower Canadians with disabilities.
They are the only national not-for-profit organization in Canada that has for over thirty years empowered Canadians with disabilities through the use of computer-based assistive technologies, research and development, and various employment programs. Through their work, they help people with disabilities remove barriers so that they can live independent lives and become active members of the workplace and our society. Specializing in education and workplace empowerment, the Society has served over 35,000 people since 1984.
The Neil Squire Society’s headquarters are in Burnaby, British Columbia with research and development labs in both Burnaby and Vancouver, British Columbia. Regional offices are located in Regina, Saskatchewan; Ottawa, Ontario; and Fredericton and Moncton, New Brunswick.
Through a partnership with the Victoria Disability Resource Centre the Neil Squire Society is able to offer the following programs in the Victoria area:
Working Together Program
Helping people with disabilities prepare for, obtain and maintain employment
This unique, comprehensive and participant centered program is designed to develop the skills required to help individuals achieve their employment goals.
The Program Offers:
- Individualized program plans or group-based learning environment
- Career & Personal Development, Wellness for Work & Job Search Support customized to meet your individual needs
- Wage subsidy may be available if needed
- Continuous support from career professionals
- Ergonomic and/or Assistive Technology assessments and solutions
- You have a self-declared disability
- You’re looking for employment and need some help along the way
Until March 31, 2022, the eligibility criteria for the Working Together program has changed to include all persons with disabilities whether they are eligible for or currently receive EI. Please contact your local Neil Squire office to speak with a Working Together representative for further details and eligibility criteria.
Sara Bains, Director of Employment Programs
T 604 473 9363 ext. 142
Toll Free 1 877 673 4636
WorkBC Assistive Technology Services
Assistive Technology Services provides equipment and devices to help individuals thrive in the workplace.
Supports available through Assistive Technology Services include:
- Assistive devices, equipment and technology
- Ergonomic supports (e.g. ergonomic furniture, lighting systems)
- Restorative supports (e.g. canes, crutches)
- Attendant services related to work (e.g. assistance with mobility or personal hygiene at work)
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpreting and captioning services
- Communication and hearing devices related to work
- Workplace access and modification
- Vehicle modifications
Click here to be directed to their website for information and contacts.