Cartoon of a rainbow of hands with different-shaped thought bubbles coming out of them.The Victoria Disability Resource Centre (VDRC) is a useful point of contact for individuals looking for information about disability-related supports and programs both locally and provincially. One of our Information and Referral (I & R) staff can provide you with a wealth of information and answer any questions or concerns you may have.


Our I & R services at the VDRC are available from 9am – 4pm Monday to Friday by appointment. We also offer a weekly workshop on applying for the Persons with Disability (PWD) designation for social assistance (Tuesdays at 1:30 pm). You can also drop in at the centre and speak to our receptionist for pamphlets about various programs.

List of Support Resources

Our I & R staff can provide knowledge, information and referrals concerning a variety of topics including but not limited to:

  • How to apply for BC government assistance: the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) designation.
    Note: If you are applying for PWD for the first time, we recommend attending our weekly seminar on this topic – every Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 pm in our office at 817A Fort St, Victoria.
  • How to apply for Federal assistance programs: Canada Pension Plan-Disability, the Disability Tax Credit, the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), Old Age Pension, and Guaranteed Income Supplement.
  • Assistance with filling out other forms: insurance forms, medical equipment applications, and long-term disability.
  • Employment: possible employment service programs for people with disabilities.
  • Education:  accessing funding through Canadian study grants for people with disabilities and possible student loan forgiveness for students with disabilities.
  • Housing resources: applying for the B.C. Housing Registry and applying for monthly rental subsidies.
  • Mental health services: local support groups for people experiencing mental health issues including with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and options for subsidized counselling. .
  • Health supports: organizations where individuals can loan/borrow mobility devices, get information about provincial Medical Services Only (MSO) coverage, and find out about accessing affordable dentistry.
  • Advocacy: referrals to other organizations who provide advocates.
  • Transportation: applying for and using handyDART and obtaining a provincially issued bus pass for individuals with the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) designation .
  • Recreation and leisure services: the apply for a Leisure Involvement for Everyone (L.I.F.E) Pass and programs that promote and provide recreational activities for people with disabilities.
  • And, more!