You can get a parking permit by phone, mail, fax, or by email.
Parking Permits for Persons with Disabilities (also known as accessible parking permits or simply “parking placards”) allow the permit holder to park in designated accessible parking spots. We offer them for both motor vehicles and motorcycles, with the same process and price for both.
There are two types of parking permit: permanent and temporary. Both of these require a completed application filled out by both you and your doctor.
Permanent permits are for people who have an ongoing condition that is likely to persist for life and need to be renewed every three years.
Once you have a permanent parking permit, there is no need for a doctor to sign off on your renewal; a renewal package will be mailed to the address on file when your permit is about to expire.
Temporary permits are for people who have a short term condition, such as an injury or are recovering from surgery, and are issued for no longer than one year. If you require an extension, you will need to submit another completed application form.
Parking Permits are available for both individuals and organizations and are valid throughout BC, as well as the rest of Canada, the USA, and the European Union (be sure to check local rules for use of the permit before you travel).
You may be eligible if you:
- Have a disability that limits your mobility;
- Are unable walk 100 metres without risk to your health;
- Require the use of a mobility aid such as a wheelchair, scooter, walker, cane(s), crutches; or
- Are recovering from an injury or surgery
Organizations that provide transportation for persons with disabilities may apply for parking permits.
Download Application Forms
How to Apply/Renew
250-595-0044 ext. 106 – have your credit card ready
Mail the completed application form and payment to the Victoria Disability Resource Centre at 817 A Fort Street, Victoria, BC V8W 1H6
Fax the completed application form to 250-595-1512 and provide payment via credit card.
Once you have a permanent parking permit you do not have the doctor fill in a new application; a renewal package will be mailed to the address we have on file when your permit is about to expire. You can also get in contact with us and we will gladly help you with a renewal.
Temporary permits are issued for no longer than one year. If you need an extension you will have to submit another completed application form.
If you live outside Victoria, you can submit your application to our nearest satellite locations:
Beacon Community Services
10030 Resthaven Drive
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Wes-Com Medilend (The Priory)
567 Goldstream Avenue
Hours: Monday – Friday 10:00am – 1:00pm
New Horizons Centre
31778 – 2nd Avenue Port Alberni
Hours: Monday – Friday 3:30 pm to 4:30pm
We accept cash, debit, credit, cheques and money orders made out to Victoria Disability Resource Centre or VDRC.
- $27 by mail, phone, fax or email
- Lost or stolen permits can be replaced, but will need to be repurchased for the prices listed above
- $25 for one year (registered charities are issued permits for three years at a time)
Rules and Regulations
- Permit holders are permitted to park in accessible parking spaces ONLY when the vehicle clearly displays the accessible parking permit.
- Only the permit holder is entitled to use the permit. Lending the permit to friends or family members can result in the permit being cancelled.
- Anyone who helps a person with a disability to run errands cannot park in the designated stalls if the person with the disability remains in the vehicle. This is an abuse of the privileges.
- If you move, tell us your new address and phone number so we can remind you of renewal time.
- You should return your expired parking permit to us.
- Parking permits expire at the end of the month of expiry.
- Lost or stolen permits can be replaced, but will need to be purchased for the prices listed in the cost section above.
Additional Benefits for Victoria Permit Holders
- Permit holders are eligible to purchase parking passes from Victoria City Hall. A day pass costs $4; and a monthly pass costs, if you work in downtown Victoria, $63. Both passes allow the holder to park at any regular metered space for as long as they wish while the passes are valid.
- All permit holders are granted a grace period of one hour, on top of the time you pay for, at any regular metered parking space (the blue-topped meters). This does NOT include designated accessible parking meters (with the yellow-top) or short-term 20 minute parking (the red-topped meters).
- Permit holders are granted free parking for up tp 4-hours on Sundays at any regular metered parking space.
*Accessible parking permit must be displayed for the above use
Do you suspect a placard is being misused?
If you suspect a placard is being misused or has expired, please call or email us with the placard number. The placard number is a six-digit number on the front of the placard.
Call: 250-595-0044 ext. 106
Please keep in mind that not all disabilities are visible.